Friday, June 10, 2011

The Tree of Life pt.2 (SPOILER)



When driving home after seeing The Tree of Life. I was thinking back on what all had happened and was trying to piece together the non-linear 2 hour and 18 minute anti-plot, when my eyes popped open. ...Did I see dinosaurs? Was there not a 15 minute scene including CGI dinosaurs? I couldn't believe what I was seeing at the moment and must have blocked it from my memory as the movie moved on. But I now remember thinking WHY? Why would the purest director, the most reliable director, the most old school of cinematic directors include something that obviously is fake fake fake. It immediately reminded me of Kubrick's 2001. The monkeys... That was sorta silly I guess. But they weren't computer graphics, they were french mimes in gorilla costumes. That's sorta cool. Jurassic Park 5... not cool. Jar Jar Binks...not cool.

In fact... the movie absolutely was 2001. Minus the plot, and with no science fiction, and very Terrence Malick.

This first time through was rough on me. I had far too many expectations and was worried and confused and stressed the whole way through. I need several more viewings. Several!

No doubt though that this movie will be as big of a deal as his other films.

No comments:

Post a Comment