Monday, August 15, 2011

Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain



Written by Fred Rose in the early 40s, Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain is a beautiful country tune. I first heard it off Willie Nelson's 1975 outlaw breakthrough album Red-Headed Stranger. It is a reoccurring theme, or "the heartbeat" of the album which is one of my all-time favorites. I was 19 years old, living in Zimbabwe and missing American music badly. I could easily say that Red-Headed Stranger is what got me into old-time country music.

Willie Nelson from the album Red-Headed Stranger


Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain was first recorded by Roy Acuff in 1945.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4E9GSIztd0

I love Gene Autry's version.


Then the great Hank the first recorded it in 1951 on a live radio show. Here's that.

Hank Williams Sr. - released on a rarities box set





No comments:

Post a Comment