Sunday, August 7, 2011

Buffalo '66



I first saw this a Joe Whiteford's apartment in the late 90s. I wasn't ready for what I saw. Since then, this film has become more and more important. It's the best film to come out of the 90's in my opinion. It has the free spirit of a 60s French New Wave film, but very much an American film. Very much Buffalo, New York. I feel it pays homage to the New Hollywood Era of the 70s.

He uses jump cuts from multiple takes to produce artistic continuity errors. I feel like this movie is in comparison to Easy Rider or Bonnie and Clyde and in the same stride as The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. It's raw and unapologetic. Gallo is Scorsese and Godard...Taxi Driver meets Breathless.

Buffalo '66
makes "MUMBLE CORE" movies look like high school class projects. I love any movie with a bowling scene. So many fantastic moments in the movie. I'm very upset he only made one movie after this but... at least he got to make this.

No comments:

Post a Comment