Sunday, February 20, 2011

Antique shopping

My mom and I love to go antique shopping. I love that feeling of having something you're looking for... scanning each section for that one thing. Last time we went to the Grayson Flea Market, I was looking to sell my VHS collection to a poor sucker, and my mom was looking for an old wooden high-chair for Gabe, my cousin's baby. We were both unsuccessful, but we had a good time.

I .01% hate the word "OLD". I 99% hate the word "RETRO". I 33% hate the word "ANTIQUE". I 5 % hate the word "VINTAGE". I 20% hate the word "TREASURE". I 10% hate the word "USED".



Antique shops like Indianapolis' own Midland Antique Mall is geared towards girls more than boys. It's not a guys place. (However, they did have a sweet black leather biker jacket that fit me perfectly the first time I went but didn't have the money and then went yesterday and it was gone and now I'm really sad about it because I don't think I'll ever find one that cool, but it's probably for the best because I don't think I'm cool enough to wear a coat like that anyway.) For instance, my 3 best finds...

A cool cabinet with stars all over it. If I was a girl I could buy this and put beauty products in it.


80's Snoopy bag! So COOL. Guys can't carry around tiny hand bags. We just can't.


A vintage case (love boxes and cases) specifically for roller skates.


I didn't buy anything, which is a good thing. I don't need more stuff. There were SO MANY SMALL SUITCASES I WANTED TO BUY!

I finally found the Yats on Mass Ave.



As I sat and ate this amazing plate of slop, a Jimi Hendrix song came on. It sounded like a studio blues jam (another word I hate) session with his 3 piece band. It was the most impressive guitar playing I've ever heard. It was like I discovered Hendrix all over for the first time. I was so moved, I was ready to stand up and start dancing with the girl eating next to me... They would turn it up real loud... then maybe the cooks would come out and start dancing with us... and everybody else in the place would dance... then the people would be comin' in off the streets!!! We'd all be dancin' the blues!!!!

1 comment: