Sunday, February 20, 2011

GEEKS

I was on the quest for a good fountain square coffee shop. Still haven't found one. But what I did find was far greater.

You know in movies when someone walks into a place that they don't belong, and everyone in that place stops what they're doing and looks.

http://www.arsenalgameroom.com

I walked into a game room. Didn't know what that meant. I saw the word cafe so I walked in. What I found was a lot of weird dudes playing fantasy games. I walked through and ordered a coffee anyway. The owner gave me a tour of the place.

We first walked down to the "dungeon". On the way down the stairs I heard a guy reading from a book or something. He was speaking in a scary voice and going with it 100%. They were playing a game called "Vampires". When I got down there, he started talking in a slightly more normal voice.



We then walked through "the War Room" where there was some serious battles going on, then back upstairs. He told me about all the special events coming up like Dungeons and Dragons night and other games I've never heard of.

This underworld of gamers can easily be laughed at by all other non-gamers... but dude, they look like they are seriously having a good time. The arsenal is open from 12 to 12 on Saturday, and I bet most of those guys were gonna be there all day, havin' the time of their life. It's no different then jocks going to a gym, or music lovers going to a show. They tap into that childlike feeling of just having a good time... escaping your world.

One thought I could not escape while sitting near nerds playing a role playing game is this one time that I described myself to a girl on the internet about 6 years ago. I said, "I'd like to consider myself like what Daniel Desario would have turned out to be after hanging out with the geeks for a while, but really I'm probably more like the geeks after hanging out with Daniel Desario."

It won her over.

No comments:

Post a Comment